Monday, October 25, 2010

french onion soup.

My favorite. I love, drool over, crave and must have this soup at least once during the fall and once in the winter. It's an annual tradition for my family once the weather turns cold. If you live in Utah, you know it was beastly cold yesterday, so of course I made FRENCH ONION SOUP!

I'll tell you now, this recipe is unlike any you'll ever have. My mom snagged the recipe off a burly pup owner in England years ago. FYI, did you know I was actually born there? I know, the accent gives it away.

Anyhow, it's delish. I hope you enjoy.

1. Cut the onions. And bawl like a friggin' baby. Holy cow, I had mascara streaking down my face like I was next in line to star in a KISS show.


2. Then make the onion goodness:


French Onion Soup

3-4 lbs of sweet onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup butter
4-5 Tbl. flour
6 cups chicken broth
4-5 Tbl. rice vinegar or mild vinegar 
1 loaf of sour dough bread, chopped into bite size pieces
1 pound of Swiss cheese

1. Saute onions in butter until tender, not brown.
2. Stir in flour until the aroma smells divine! (Your mixture will look light brown.)
3. Whisk in chicken broth, and then add vinegar to taste.
4. Scoop soup mixture into oven safe bowls.
5. Top with handfuls of bread cubes, and Swiss cheese.
6. Cook at 500 degrees until cheese is melted and lightly browned.

Then eat and enjoy, and think of me!

11 SPLURTS:

Jo said...

Erin--he was a PUB, not PUP owner. He didn't want me to share the recipe. And, it's not "FRENCH" onion soup, just onion soup. But, it is OH SO GOOD!

The Dixon Family said...

It looks so good! I'm going to try it.

SummShine said...

Living england we are hoping to aquire some english recipes while we are here. Thanks for this one, even though it is technically coming from an american.

Brooke said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I can't wait to try this, even if I'm breaking some English Pub owners heart by taking his recipe. I've always wanted to make "English" Onion Soup! :)

The Price Family said...

I think I will try this this week. I had been looking for one more meal to make and this completes my week!!! Gracias dear Erin!

Kayleen said...

Yu-u-um!!!
Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing. :P

Peggy said...

I just made your soup and YUM! That was Taaaasty!! And I totally think you should dress up as a member of KISS for Halloween. You rocked that look.

tammy said...

I love your mom. And if the English guy didn't want his recipe shared, he should have given your mom a decoy recipe. Duh.

Misty said...

Oh, YUM! I can't wait to try this.. thanks for sharing. Mmm...

A. said...

(When I can eat gain) I'm SOOO going to have to make this!!!

Nikki said...

mmmm I'm going to the commissary right now to get those ingredients.