Friday, February 29, 2008

Embarrassing Moment #3472

When: 9th Grade
Where: Orchestra Concert
Who: Me and a cute boy


I sat next to the dreamiest boy in the ninth grade orchestra. My orchestra conductor had seated us together a week earlier; I had proudly taken a second chair! Unfortunately, I had been afflicted all week with a terrible phlegm producing head cold, and had the most awkward time finding the right pitch. I had taken a warm shower before the concert to loosen up my sinuses and gave a good effort to farmer blow out what I could in the shower.
I showed up for the concert in my best black velvet dress and took my seat next to my ninth grade dream boat. He nodded and continued his conversation with a chum across the stage. As the orchestra filled in their seats, I desperately wished he would take notice of me...and secretly desperately wished that the other girls would notice his adoration of me and be jealous! Nothing like the sort happened. He didn't say one word!
The concert began as we fell into the well rehearsed Bach's Brandenburg Concerto. After the first piece finished my wish came true! Dreamy ninth grade boy leaned over and whispered to me, "you really played good." Flustered, and blushing bright shades of red, I meant to thank him for his comment, but instead blurted out a mixed "Tanks" as a hideously loud sneeze erupted from the depths of my lungs. He looked shocked and awed at first and then burst out a loud, "HA HA HA," before he turned away and muffled his laughter with his sleeve. I recovered from my sneeze to realize that he was laughing at the largest piece of greenish yellow snot phlegm that had flown from my mouth when I sneezed and landed directly on top of my violin! A large nickel sized phlegm ball oozed on my violin scarring my youthful peace in ninth grade and doing little to award me jealousies from the other girls.
Dreamy ninth grade by made little attempts to speak to me throughout the rest of the year, or the rest of high school, but when he did, he always recounted the flying phlegm incident!

I hope you Friday is phlegm-scar free! Have a fun Friday...

6 SPLURTS:

Just SO said...

HA HA HA HA!!! That's so funny and so embarrassing!!

Unknown said...

Think of this way: I bet he still remembers you.

Marcie said...

That is so unbelievably embarrassing! You recounted it so well (probably because it's forever ingrained in your mind!)

Carolyn said...

Who was that dreamy boy?....I can't even remember who would have been sitting next to you. Wait...I can't even remember where I was sitting! Probably behind you and I saw the whole thing!

Bobbi said...

Sick. Who was the boy?

Robyn said...

Who is this dream boy? It would make the story so much more interesting!